Our network of partners is a key advantage, representing experts across a range of disciplines, industries and geographies. Because our diverse offering demands specialist insights, we tailor solutions by leveraging the cumulative knowledge and experience of partners, both local and international. CSS regularly collaborates with engineers, urban planners and other professionals to craft solutions that overcome conventional technical and financial constraints.
Position: Consultant (Senior Associate Level)
Role type: Fixed term contract (12 months)
Employer: Consulting for Sustainable Solutions, Claremont, Cape Town
Available: 1 July 2019
Consulting for Sustainable Solutions is a specialist economics-based consultancy which offers strategy, advisory and research services to the financial sector. We aim to unlock capital for sustainable urban infrastructure to create cities of the future, recognising that sustainable cities are central to the achievement of the SDGs. We design innovative financial solutions in the spheres of climate and property finance, including green bonds, green housing finance products, and catalytic funds. Since 2014, we have served leading financial institutions including Nedbank, TUHF (Trust for Urban Housing Finance) and ALCB (African Local Currency Bond Fund).
Thriving cities are socially inclusive, environmentally sustainable and financially prosperous. To promote these outcomes, we have developed expertise in three key areas:
- Affordable and social housing provides emerging households with access to economic hubs, offering social mobility, secure and comfortable lifestyles, and access to a range of desirable amenities;
- Green building delivers efficient spaces for businesses and residents, optimising returns for investors and assisting governments in mitigating climate change and reducing peak power supply;
- Decentralised energy and water solutions provide cost-competitive, continuous, localised utility supply options which reduce strain on public infrastructure.
To expand our capabilities, we are looking for a Cape Town-based Consultant to join the team. This will be an individual who shares our vision, lives our values and is committed to service excellence. The ideal candidate has demonstrated strategy consulting or financial advisory skills, with the ability to translate high-level client objectives into granular project plans, financial models and compelling reports and presentations. Proven relationship building skills are also vital, considering the need to interact effectively with clients and colleagues. In return, we offer a great opportunity to work with a bright, driven and courageous team passionate about growing the potential for sustainable finance in South Africa.
As a Consultant at Senior Associate level at CSS, you will be responsible for project delivery and managing junior colleagues. Day to day activities will include liaising with clients, co-developing problem statements and project plans, performing financial modelling, conducting research, writing reports and managing delivery by junior colleagues. You will report to the CSS MD, who will lead client engagement and project delivery.
- Sound academic qualifications, preferably in Finance or Economics;
- 2-4 years’ experience in strategy consulting or analytical roles within the financial sector
- Preferably some exposure to sustainable finance / ESG investing
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills with excellent attention to detail
- Excellence orientation: uncompromising focus on delivering work of the highest quality and accuracy
- Proven capability in advanced financial modelling (Excel)
- Proven capability in delivering compelling reports and presentations
- Resilience, ability to perform well under pressure and deal maturely with constructive feedback
- A confident, enthusiastic, personable persona with a passion for client service and growing juniors
- Emotional intelligence, ability to interact with a diverse range of people at all levels
- Willingness to travel in SA (1-2x monthly, usually to Johannesburg)
- Own transport, including for local travel.
Your employment and remuneration:
- Fixed term contract with the possibility to renew or convert to permanent employment thereafter
- Whilst this is a full-time position, part-time / flexible arrangements will be considered
- Market-linked, competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply, candidates should email a brief CV and letter and outlining their fit to the position to Megan Sager at email@example.com . Short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview.